The Prime Minister Hon. Voreqe Bainimarama has announced the members of the National Flag Committee.
In his announcement, the Prime Minister also thanked the members of the National Flag Committee for agreeing to undertake this national task.
“I am sure that every Fijian joins me in thanking each of these distinguished individuals for agreeing to serve the nation by becoming members of this Committee”, the Prime Minister said.
“They will be assembling next week to begin the task of sifting through more than 1400 entries in the national flag competition that closed on 1st May and we wish them well in their deliberations.”
The Prime Minister also announced that the committee, which will be chaired by the Assistant Minister for Youth and Sports and Para-Olympic champion, Honourable Iliesa Delana will also be joined by Ted Kaye – an American flag expert who is a leading international authority in the field of vexillology.
The members of the National Flag Committee are:
1. Honourable Iliesa Delana – Assistant Minister for Youth and Sports and Para-Olympic Gold Medallist, (Chair);
2. Mr Ted Kaye – American Flag expert and vexillogist;
3. Ms Shaenaz Voss – senior manager of Fiji Airways and former Chief Executive Officer of Air Fiji and Board member of Unit Trust of Fiji and Film Fiji;
4. Mr Ilaitia Jikoiono – artist and designer and Creative Director of Style Magazine;
5. Ms Shammi Lochan – radio personality and currently Radio Program Director at the Fiji Broadcasting Corporation;
6. Ms Lenora Qereqeretabua – National public relations consultant and former Ms Hibiscus;
7. Ms Manpreet Kaur – academic specializing in linguistics and diasporic studies at the University of Fiji;
8. Ms Niqa Tuvuki – Culture and heritage specialist at the Fiji Arts Council;
9. The Tui Wainunu, Ratu Orisi Baleitavea;
10. Mr Agni Deo Singh – Trade Unionist and General Secretary of the Fiji Teachers Union;
11. Mr Craig Marlow – community artist;
12. Mr Jiko Matawalu – sporting personality, rugby player and coach; and
13. Mr Dinesh Patel – businessman and member of the Chamber of Commerce.